Thursday, November 19, 2009

Bureau News!

This week my Foundations class has been functioning as a bureau. A news bureau is an organization (ex: The AP) with teams that collect and compile information on a particular story. My team of 7 students had 45 minutes to finish our story.

As we scattered throughout campus to interview students about financial aid, we only had 30 minutes. Not only did we have to get multiple interviews, but we had to ensure they were diverse. A huge interviewing lesson was if I don't seem rushed, the source won't feel rushed. This allows a source to feel relaxed while telling their story.

After finishing an interview, I would text information to the "chiefs," who stayed behind to compile the story. I had to pay much closer attention than I normally do when sending texts, making sure to properly attribute sources.

When we gathered back together, we had interviewed diverse students and compiled it into a detailed piece on financial aid. It took each member of the team to make the story excellent. This exercise taught me the value of working with a team on gathering news - we found much more in little time than we could have found alone.

1 comment:

  1. Calm in the moment of stress. It has enormous effect. You learned it comes even when you don't feel it. Nicely done. And you were a fine team member.

    ReplyDelete