Thursday, November 19, 2009

California Dreamin'

So I was thinking about all the details of what goes into a good blog. If you've read any blogs besides this one, you'll understand that it completely depends on what the author wants to do. For instance, news blogs are great. However, sometimes the ones that tell fun stories are also great. It just depends on what's going to be accomplished. I've decided I want to synthesize a news aspect with a story of my life kind of aspect. We'll see how it shakes out.

Anyway, I've been in California for almost three months now and there are plenty of stories that I find at least mildly entertaining. I think I've done a good job of finding a new balance. There are tons of fun things to do and I've only scratched the surface so far - Disneyland, Huntington Beach, late night movies, and on campus events.

I came to the startling and very exciting realization today that my semester is almost over! I only have 27 days before I hop on an airplane back to a land where others understand the word "y'all," sweet tea flows readily, and the horizon is obstructed only by trees and mountains - not brick and concrete.

Clearly, I'm rather excited about going home. (And with a home like I have, who wouldn't be?) However, I'm also aware that I've got a good thing goin' here. As I sit outside in a t shirt and jeans, pounding out ideas on my laptop, I can't help but stop and be grateful.

I don't have much homework this week, so I've had a delightful week. I've been reading and gleaning new ideas. I've been engaging with the New York Times and seeing what's going on in the world. I've been relaxing and being renewed.

Life is slow this week - and that is good. There's been a lot to learn this semester and many hard times, but I know I'm where I should be. And that - that is very good.

1 comment:

  1. "In a world that's all concrete and steel"

    ReplyDelete