Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thanksgiving: Observations

Every year when it comes time for Thanksgiving, it seems that everyone feels the need to remind us to "be thankful all the time." Of course, we don't hear the reminder again til the next Thanksgiving. I have to wonder what life would be like if we constantly lived in a state of gratitude - acknowledging that life wasn't always epically fantastic, but that we had something for which to be thankful. Aside from that musing, I'll go ahead and admit it: I'm not constantly grateful. And that's something that I need to work on. This Thanksgiving, though, has made me more aware of what I'm thankful for.

1) Biola. Oh my goodness, it's been an experience beyond imagination. I'm learning to think well and to see the world within the context of God's word at all times. Not to mention, there's fabulous community and I'm building great relationships with other students as we explore the world.

2) California. Despite all my mock trash talking, I really am thankful for the state of California. Because I've been living here, I feel that I've gained an understanding for another culture and the way it functions. It's always good to see more of the world, isn't it?

3) Virginia. With my thankfulness of Cali noted, it is now fair to say that I am downright thankful for my home state. After all, the grand Old Dominion is one of the most beautiful states in the Union with some of the most beautiful people in it. I thank God constantly that I grew up in a town where doors are rarely locked, where the mountains are big, beautiful, and protective, and where community still exists.

4) Family. Speaking of community, let's talk about the best community ever. I love my family... immediate and extended. Being away definitely leads to a realization that no family will ever be as cool, funny, or loving.

5) Jesus. This is one big "no duh," but it is more true this season than ever before. I've been reading through the Old Testament for Torrey (Genesis-Joshua, to be specific) and I'm learning more and more about the holy nature of God, his justice, his love, his mercy and how everything points forward to Christ. How undeserving am I to be chosen simply because he loves me? After all, I know that more often than not, I too am like an Israelite, grumbling simply because I've forgotten his goodness.

There's my top five. There's much more, but it would go on and on. Tell me, what are you most thankful for?

1 comment: